Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Springsteen Conversion Story

To celebrate the release of the new Bruce Springsteen album, here's my conversion story: It's 1978, I'm 13 years old, walking down the street, a dicey neighborhood we lived in at the time, and some high school kids in a speeding car throw a full can of beer at my head.
I get home covered in beer and blood and discover, insult to injury, that those dipshits at Columbia Record Club have screwed up my order. Instead of the Andy Gibb album I wanted, they've mailed me something called "Darkness on the Edge of Town." But then I look at the photo of the scrawny, greasy, dazed-looking guy on the album cover and I think: "Wow, that's exactly how I feel right now." Side 1, Track 1: "Badlands," and life made sense.

2 comments:

Mim said...

I love this anecdote! Am poking around your log, halfway through the audio book of "Long and Faraway Gone" and in the mood to google the author. Great writing, great readers, just wanted to give you a thumbs uo for entertaining me so well on my long walks (slave to the fitbit).

Lou Berney said...

Thanks so much, Mim! Very much appreciated!